Friday, February 22, 2013

The Dreaded Culture Shock


Research shows that up to 70 percent of students experience homesickness when they first start college.  I couldn’t find a statistic for how many students experience homesickness when they arrive in another country to study abroad, but I’m sure that it is a much higher number.  Starting college for the first time is it’s own kind of culture shock.  You are somewhat living on your own, you have a school workload that you aren’t used to, you have to adjust to living with a roommate, and you have to worry about making new friends.  It’s a lot of stress.  Now add traveling to a country you have never been to before, and you will most likely end up a nervous wreck.
            I am usually a calm and composed person, and I consider myself to be pretty flexible.  Traveling has definitely helped transform me into a more flexible person.  When I was sixteen I went on a mission trip to India with my grandmother and two other women.  I was unbelievably excited for the trip, but when I arrived and the unimaginable heat and stink and noise of the city of Delhi hit me, it felt like I was on another planet.  I remember lying awake that first night in Delhi and crying because I just wanted to go home.  However, I got over it and was able to have an amazing two weeks that changed my life and my perspective. 
            While I did not cry on my first night in London, I did lay awake that first night and completely stressed out about all of the new things that I experienced in my first day of being there.  I have virtually no sense of direction, so I was terrified that I would get lost if I ventured outside of my apartment.  I didn’t have Internet for the first week so I was pretty much starved of any contact with my family.  I never had to cook for myself before, and I had no idea where to start.  On the first trip to the grocery store I bought some grapes, bread, cheese, and a few prepackaged meals.  Not a great start. 
            I learned to adapt to these changes; it just took time.  That is the best advice I can give to those who are experiencing culture shock and homesickness.  Another is just getting out of your apartment and exploring the country you live in.  You will be amazed at how much you will come to love the country and actually feel homesick for it when you come back home.

Sources:
www2.warkwick.ac.uk

No comments:

Post a Comment