Wednesday, April 3, 2013

English to English


            One of the strange things that I encountered when I was in the UK was that even though the people around me were speaking English, I still had trouble understanding them.  Part of the reason was the different accents, but a lot of it had to do with the different words they had for things.  I’m sure people who have traveled to other English speaking countries like Australia have also experienced this.  Even if you travel outside of your area in this country you will find people who have unique ways of saying things.  I still look at people funny who say that they want to drink some pop, instead of soda. 
            Below I have some English to English translations for the UK culture.  Some are ones that I picked up on while I was there, some I learned from movies and books, and others I looked up on the Internet.  Some are pretty common and most people know them, but others might surprise you.  These are only a few, and you can Google many more.

Key: UK word – US word

Loo – bathroom
Jumper – sweater
Biscuit – cookie
Drink driving – drunk driving
Loft – attic
Rashers – bacon
Cooker – stove
Hob – top of the stove/burner
Bum bag – fanny pack
Nosh – food
Telly – TV
Fairy cake – cupcake
Bin – trashcan
Jam – jelly
Jelly – jello
Pants – underwear
Barbie – grill
Tomato sauce – ketchup
Lounge – living room
Chips – french fries
Crisps – potato chips
Bonnet – car hood
Boot – car trunk
Pudding – any kind of dessert
Garden – front yard
Trainers - sneakers
Snooker – billiards/pool
Fanny – uhh … a female body part


Sources: www.effingpot.com

No comments:

Post a Comment